Sheesh…what a workout.
After over 2 weeks of living hell, the SurvivalRing website is back to most of what it was before the hack of Monday, October 15th, in the wee hours of the morning. There are still going to be quite a few odds and ends MIA…(that is, “Missing In Action”) while we work on so many little things. So, what is back, and what remains to be fixed?
Where we are…
- The SurvivalRing Community Center ( at http://www.survivalring.org/SR_forums ) is back online. The software is installed but all previous posts lost…downloads that were in the Forums are backed up, and will be re-uploaded in the coming weeks.
- The main SurvivalRing website, with all the categories, pages, links, page content and post content, have been recovered, and are now back online and available. What will be missing (for the short term) are mostly page or post images that were originally uploaded on the day that post or page was created. Some images are lost…most can be found or replaced…sorry.
- Most of the download file sets (thousands of PDF files in a multitude of areas) have been re-uploaded. Some will still need some coding (yet to be done) to bring them back to life in the download page location where they formerly were. This will get done in the near term future.
- The website (before the attack) used a variety of programs to offer the posts, pages, downloads, feeds and other offerings that SurvivalRing ran on to offer the full set of useful information it has become known for. This programs will be re-uploaded and reinstalled over the coming week.
- After a full review of every single table in every single database, I’ve found that we lost precious few main site features in this hack, specifically the SRCC Forums posts that existed prior to 10/15/12, and one of my original blogs, started back in 2004…known as Cosmic Echoes (formerly located at http://www.survivalring.org/wordpress ). Both of these databases were wiped. SRCC is already reinstalled, updated, and ready to reboot. Cosmic Echoes will come back, most likely. I shared “edgier” content on that blog.
- A lot of “little things” still need to be found, repaired, fixed, or replaced. As I go through every page of every site on this server, I’ll fix these as I find them. I’ll just call this “job security”.
Updates and additions…
You’ll notice a few things here or there on the SurvivalRing site that were not there before this terrible turn of events. For example, the old look of the site has been updated to a slightly different, slightly wider website layout. This offers opportunities for me to fix little bitty things much easier.
Security is updated as well. The SurvivalRing has been moved to a more secure server, and an SSL (secure socket layers) certificate purchased so that any and all browsing of the website can be done with encryption to any visitor. This will also help lock out the bad guys as well.
One click backups of the ENTIRE SurvivalRing website are now set up, and will be done on a regular basis. Backups of the website on other servers across the country will also be set up in the coming weeks. Cloud access is in the works as well…especially for the bigger downloads. Stay tuned for more on this.
What’s to come…
Membership sections will also be coming soon, with free, and paid levels. Register an account and you’ll have access to all the free downloads. Don’t register, and you won’t see very many downloads at all. Paid accounts will get access to the digital specialty files I have created, the online versions of all my CD and DVD multimedia disks, and downloads of CD and DVD images (so you can burn your own copies). More bonus items will be added to the site as time allows, after SurvivalRing is fully operational again (all missing files fixed or repaired).
Why member levels? To help support the actual cost of running this website, purchasing new content, updating or replacing hardware or software, and all the infinitesimally small myriad needs of running a huge, content and techno heavy website year after year.
Membership areas also keep the bad guys at bay, and offer some protection for the honest users, while keeping the leeches and script kiddies at bay.
So…that’s where we stand.
You’ll notice the new SurvivalRing theme has a somewhat patriotic slant. A couple of reasons for that…this election cycle defines where we, as a nation, are headed…and we need, more than ever, to remember our roots.
Also since the asshole hackers were tracked back to Islamo-facist foundations, I wanted to rub the “Americans will always stand back up after getting knocked down” meme in their infantile, hate laden faces. In other word, you hacker/cracker morons “hit like a girl”…and always will.
Bottom line? We’re back….and when finished, we will be better…faster…and much stronger. Keep hitting me, and I’ll keep getting right back up.
Finally, a message to the particular hacker that claimed responsibility for the destruction of my work…by deleting nearly everything I’ve worked on for so many years now…over 15 years now.
“Fuck you, tr0jan32…and the camel you rode in on…”
Nothing in this world is permanent…including YOUR HACKS.